- Writers Retreat
- Writers in School
- OUR SUPPORTERS
JONATHAN is now accepting submissions from writers across the LBGTQ spectrum. We’ll be bringing you the best in short fiction from not only male-identified queer writers, but also female-identified queer writers, trans* writers, bisexual writers, non-binary writers, and genderqueer writers. This is why, starting with the next issue, JONATHAN’s subtitle will read: A QUEER FICTION JOURNAL.
JONATHAN will now appear twice a year. Because of this, we have only seven slots available for the 11th issue, which will come out in March 2016. We’re open to reading new work for JONATHAN 11 only between now and December 31, 2015.
A few things to consider before clicking on that Send button:
1. In your cover letter, you must state how you identify yourself as a queer person (trans*, lesbian, bisexual, non-binary, genderqueer, etc.). Why? We’re actively seeking diversity.
2. Stories cannot be any longer than 4,500 words; a combination of flash fictions or short-shorts adding up to 4,500 words is acceptable. Stand-alone excerpts from a novel in progress are fine too. No reprints, though, but subject matter is wide open.
3. It is possible that if there isn’t enough room for your accepted work in JONATHAN 11, it may be moved to JONATHAN 12.
4. Submissions must be sent electronically as either MS Word (either .rtf or .doc) or Pages (.pages) files. The email address is email@example.com.
5. In terms of cover art, we are looking to featuring visual work by those who identify as trans*, lesbian, bisexual, non-binary, or genderqueer. Please send your online portfolio URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As before, the next reading period for JONATHAN 12 and 13 will last from June 1, 2016 to August 31, 2016. is published by Sibling Rivalry Press.