Job Announcement: Lambda Literary Seeks Awards Manager
Author: Edit Team
February 15, 2021
Lambda Literary, the nation’s leading LGBTQ literary organization, seeks a creative, detail-oriented, and highly collaborative Awards Manager to lead the day-to-day operations of the most prestigious prize in LGBTQ literature, the annual Lambda Literary Awards, aka, the “Lammys”.
Since 1989, the Lammys have identified and celebrated the best lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender books of the year. The Awards recognize over 100 writers in two dozen categories, including $17,500 in cash prizes to LGBTQ authors.
The Awards Manager is responsible for a year-round cycle of activities beginning with award submissions, moving through the selection of judges, announcement of finalists, and celebration of winners at the annual awards ceremony. The Awards Manager will enjoy an extraordinary vantage point on the breadth and depth of contemporary queer literature, and will thrive as part of a small, mission-driven staff.
Start date: March 15, 2021. From March – July, the position is 20 hours / week, becoming full time (40 hours/week) with benefits in mid-July. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that includes health care insurance and paid vacation. The job is remote.
- Manage all aspects of the submissions process, including publicizing calls for submission through digital channels, ensuring robust volume of submissions across all categories, and prepping Submittable platform to receive submissions.
- Identify, recruit, and train 70+ award judges. Assign submissions to judges, supporting judges as needed and ensure they meet all deadlines for submitting their choices
- Work closely with Executive Director to co-design and manage all logistics for award ceremony, including the identification of emcees and presenters, the ordering of trophies, scripting event and program materials; coordination with ceremony venue, vendors, and contractors; manage and track sales of tickets; and managing all volunteers.
- Ensure the timely, accurate, and courteous flow of information to judges, publishers, finalists, winners, and others throughout the awards cycle.
- Plan, write, and produce all marketing and communications about the awards, from calls for submission through event ticket sales. Write, edit, and proofread all Lammys related print and digital content, including: draft press releases and webpages for awards announcements; e-newsletters, and social media content.
- Create web and social media graphics.
- Maintain and track all work against program production schedule, which captures all dependencies, timelines, etc. for all cycles of the Lammys.
- A minimum of 3–5 years of fast-paced and detail-oriented program management experience involving a large volume of information.
- Demonstrated passion for LGBTQ books, and knowledge about the literary world and/or the publishing industry.
- Superb organizational and process management skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and successfully motivate a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and easily approachable to colleagues and community stakeholders
- Ability to handle proprietary or sensitive information with discretion.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of social media
- Strong computer skills, with the proven ability to use Microsoft Office/Google Suite, Excel, and databases. Experience editing content in WordPress or similar content management system preferred. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) a plus.
Lambda Literary is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a staff that reflects the diversity of the population that it serves. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter as one PDF to [email protected] by February 26.