- Writers Retreat
- Writers in School
- OUR SUPPORTERS
Eldredge Books is now accepting submissions for Fashionably Late, a collection of personal narratives by gay, bisexual, and transgender men who came out well into adulthood.
The collection will offer an insightful look into the triumphs and struggles of coming out as gay, bi, or trans after years of living with an affected straight or cisgendered identity. The goal of this collection is twofold: to shed light on a large yet largely overlooked segment of the LGBTQ community, and to comfort older men who are coming out of the closet with stories that show they are not alone.
Submissions are open to all gay, bi, and trans men who identify as late bloomers (this typically refers to men who came out after their mid-twenties). All stories must be true and the original work of the author himself. We are seeking a wide variety of topics related to coming out late, written by a wide variety of men. Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Accepting yourself as “other”
• Dealing with the loss or change of longstanding friends and family relationships
• Reconciling your religious beliefs with your gender/sexual identity
• Reconciling your cultural identity with your gender/sexual identity
• Coming out as a transgender man
• Coming out to your spouse and children
• Coming out to your grandchildren
• Coping with divorce
• Navigating a mixed-orientation marriage when divorce is not an option
• Integrating with the LGBTQ community after years of being an outsider
• Entering the dating scene
• Letting go of false identities
• First same-sex sexual experiences
• Overcoming shame
• Mistakes you made coming out (and what you’d do differently)
The submission deadline is January 31, 2015.
Full submission guidelines can be found here.