October 21, 2014

Calling All LGBTIQA Librarians!

Posted on 25. Apr, 2010 by in News

The Lambda Literary Foundation “nurtures, celebrates, and preserves LGBT literature through programs that honor excellence, promote visibility and encourage development of emerging writers”. We would like to recognize the valuable work that librarians do to select and promote LGBT literature of any kind.

LambdaLiterary.org, the online publication of the Lambda Literary Foundation, will have a new column starting in August 2010 which will feature interviews with LGBTIQA librarians and the work that they do to select and promote LGBTIQ materials at their libraries. Public librarians, K-12 librarians, academic librarians, special librarians, and archivists who work with LGBTIQ materials and patrons are all welcome to participate in this project.

If you are interested in being interviewed for the column, please contact Rachel Wexelbaum at rswexelbaum@stcloudstate.edu or (320) 308-4756 for more information.

Series: “Confessions of a Librarian

August 2010: Interview 1:
Deadline Sunday July 25 2010

February 2011: Interview 2:
Deadline January 25 2011

Rachel Wexelbaum is currently Collection Management Librarian at Saint Cloud State University. She is a book reviewer for Lambda Literary and has written articles and book chapters on LGBT librarianship.

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “Calling All LGBTIQA Librarians!”

1. Brent 21 July 2010 at 6:06 PM #

Would a straight librarian who writes– as well as promotes– gay lit count?

2. Antonio Gonzalez 22 July 2010 at 10:41 AM #

I don’t see why not!

3. Antonio Gonzalez 22 July 2010 at 10:44 AM #

I think the A in LGBTQA means Allied or Allies. Rachel, please correct me if I’m wrong.

4. Rachel Wexelbaum 22 July 2010 at 11:17 AM #

That is correct, Antonio–the “A” in LGBTIQA means “Allies”.

Brent, if you can email me with your contact info that would be great. I will be sending out an email to all interested writers soon.

5. Brent 22 July 2010 at 12:41 PM #

Ohhh, I’m not a librarian. LOL. I was just checking for a friend.

I don’t think I could be a librarian… too many kids!!

6. Antonio Gonzalez 22 July 2010 at 1:38 PM #

Thanks Brent for spreading the word. Please send this link to your Librarian friends and we’ll be happy to work together. Happy Thursday! A